WRT is all about creating a great place to live. We do lots of different things to reach that goal including education and events that cover issues that we think are important: water, waste, food resilience, biodiversity, energy and transport.
Our mahi’s underpinning concept is the importance of a healthy and thriving environment. Such an environment allows a community to flourish, and within that community a strong economy can exist.
We work to celebrate and protect all the resources we have already, and build capacity and knowledge in the community toward the creation of a resource-full future for all.
Our purpose – the formal stuff!
WRT aims to educate and inform the community as well as visitors and local businesses on sustainable practice.
The purposes of the Waiheke Resources Trust are to:
- Undertake projects, and programmes which maximise sustainable practice on Waiheke
- Provide the Waiheke community with information and education to make ethical, effective and powerful decisions in respect of sustainability
- Undertake and generate community development initiatives on Waiheke for the benefit of people and our environment
- Provide training and assist people on Waiheke to gain knowledge and skills in sustainable practice
- Develop a model for small communities in sustainable practice
- Promote sustainability networks
- Undertake and support study and research in sustainability and, where appropriate, to publish the results