The WRT is all about creating a great place to live. We do lots of different things to reach that goal including education and events and there are lots of different issues that we think are important: water, waste, food resilience, biodiversity, energy and transport.
The concept that underpins our work is the importance of a healthy and thriving environment. Such an environment allows a community to flourish, and within that community a strong economy can exist.
We work to celebrate and protect all the resources we have already, and build capacity and knowledge in the community toward the creation of a resource-full future for all. Our objectives – the formal stuff!
The Waiheke Resources Trust aims to educate and inform the community as well as visitors and local businesses on sustainable practice.
The purposes of the Waiheke Resources Trust are to:
- Undertake projects, and programmes which maximise sustainable practice on Waiheke
- Provide the Waiheke community with information and education to make ethical, effective and powerful decisions in respect of sustainability
- Undertake and generate community development initiatives on Waiheke for the benefit of people and our environment
- Provide training and assist people on Waiheke to gain knowledge and skills in sustainable practice
- Develop a model for small communities in sustainable practice
- Promote sustainability networks
- Undertake and support study and research in sustainability and, where appropriate, to publish the results